Tickets $10, $8 Students & Seniors | No Brattle Passes
A look into any mirror presents an image familiar yet curious – a backwards world and an unblinking face staring back at you. The physical imperfections of its surface reflect distorted truths, often unnoticed but always present. You can never truly see yourself. Even the mind’s eye sees a warped self-image, refracted by subjective perception and experience.
This program features films that explore the ideas of reflection and refraction, through content, composition and structure. The final piece will be a unique performance of 16mm manipulation and live sound by Architecture of the Sun. A few of the pieces in this program will also be featured as part of a traveling program on the theme of personal space, within the home or within the mind. More information on that program, Private Territory, can be viewed at privateterritoryfilmtour.com.
- Memory Worked by Mirrors, Stephen Broomer. 2011, 3 mins, super8 transferred to 16mm
- Au Bord Du Lac (By the Lake), Patrick Bokanowski. 1994, 6 mins, 16mm
- Mirror Animations, Harry Smith. 1956-57, 11 mins, 16mm
- Garden/ing, Eriko Sonoda. 2007, 6 mins, video
- Place for Landing, Shambhavi Kaul. 2010, 6 mins, 16mm transferred to HD video
- Sanjiban, Ben Pender-Cudlip. 2012, 8 mins, HD video
- 16mm performance by Architecture of the Sun (Brittany Gravely, Ken Linehan, Jenn Pipp)
Balagan is a monthly screening series run and curated by local filmmakers Alla Kovgan, Jeff Silva, Stefan Grabowski and Mariya Nikiforova.
Visit balaganfilms.com for more information about the series.